about the beginnings institute
Meet Melanie Zammit
Melanie is a highly respected and experienced Mediator and Counsellor based in Newcastle. She has been working in the field of counselling and conflict resolution for over 15 years, and has become known for her compassionate and relational approach to therapy and to mediation.
Melanie’s professional background is diverse and unique.
After completing a Bachelor of Business at UTS, Mel entered the finance industry, working in roles within Sydney and London. She then embedded herself within the Australian music industry as General Manager of a boutique media agency representing Australian recording artists and labels, overseeing album launches, publishing multiple Australian music press titles and managing the commercial interests of the iconic Big Day Out festival.
Upon qualifying as a Psychotherapist, Melanie commenced work as a therapist and in 2008 she founded the Beginnings Institute, specialising in the journey of relationships.
Whilst growing the business, Melanie applied her experience and passion for helping to the not-for-profit sector and from 2009 until 2015 she drove some of Australia’s largest fundraising / awareness campaigns including Daffodil Day, Pink Ribbon Day, Mother of the Year Awards and more.
Melanie’s skillset and experience in high-conflict situations sees her in demand as a specialist facilitator. Since 2017 she has worked with the NSW Department of Communities and Justice delivering behaviour change programs for men and women recently released from gaol and seeking to rebuild their lives in the community.
The Beginnings Institute
Founded in 2008, the Beginnings Institute is the consolidation of Mel’s experience and passion for helping, offering the following services;
- Family Mediation – parenting and property
- Relationship Counselling
- Separation Counselling
- Co-Parenting Counselling
- Business mediation
Melanie’s warmth and highly approachable manner sets her apart.
Her professional therapy skills are complemented with a strong natural empathy, and first impressions will reveal a relatable, broad life experience (professional and personal) and an instantly engaging approach to conversation.
She provides a non-judgmental space for clients to challenge themselves to reveal all of their strengths and talents and how to put these into practice for better outcomes and to resolve conflict.
Melanie specialises in high conflict situations, helping others to communicate during times of conflict without losing control, ensuring that they feel heard, seen, understood and relevant.
Melanie is able to hold the space for her clients to explore thoughts, feelings, behaviours and patterns that may no longer be working for them and to create healthier connections.
Her skills as a Counsellor set her apart as a Mediator, especially in the often highly charged emotional circumstances of parenting mediation.
Melanie is passionate about helping people and about the industry she represents. Melanie brings up to date qualifications, industry membership, diligent supervision and continuing professional development to her practice.
Melanie is a mother, a family member, a friend and an active member of her community. She enjoys time outdoors and at the beach, meals with friends and family and any chance she can to get away for a short break and a new perspective.
Melanie has a passion for helping others and she views the role she plays within her clients’ lives as a privilege.
Associations & Certifications
Qualified Therapy & Mediation Specialist
- COUNSELLOR and PSYCHOTHERAPIST IN PRIVATE PRACTICE SINCE 2008
- GROUP THERAPIST AND FACILITATOR: Working to deliver behaviour change programs to offenders and parolees for Corrective Services NSW
- NMAS MEDIATOR AND FDR PRACTITIONER: Providing services for family dispute resolution, workplace conflict and community disputes. Online via Zoom or onsite
- GENERAL MANAGER of events, marketing and design agency in Sydney
- NATIONAL EVENTS MARKETING MANAGER for national not for profits, Cancer Council NSW and Barnardos Australia
- GRADUATE DIPLOMA OF FAMILY DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Registered Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner – Australian Institute of Social Relations
- GRADUATE DIPLOMA OF COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY – Jansen Newman Institute
- NMAS MEDIATOR: Training assessment and accreditation as a professional mediator and under the National Mediator Accreditation system (NMAS)
- BACHELOR OF BUSINESS: University of Technology, Sydney
- GOTTMAN THERAPY MODEL ACCREDITATION – Level 2